Polenta is topped with sauteed mushrooms and Brussels sprouts, with a splash of balsamic vinegar and crumbled blue cheese for a hearty meal for two (or one very hungry person!).
I love Fridays.
I think most people love Fridays, but I really love Fridays.
You see, I work from home most days with my girls. And oh do I love my girls.
See Exhibit A.
We have all kinds of fun together during the week. Spend way too much time in pajamas at the stove cooking who-knows-what, building towers, and reading books. We eat copious amounts of cucumbers and hummus or quesadillas for lunch.
But Fridays? Fridays, I get to eat lunch by myself.
BY. MY. SELF.
And as much as I love being home with these girls, there’s something special about not having to cut bites for someone else or shout things like, “No! We do NOT eat our quesadillas by the potty!”
I made this polenta a couple weeks ago with leftovers… leftover polenta, a couple portabella mushrooms, a handful of Brussels sprouts, and the few crumbles of blue cheese I was able to save from the clutches of my cheese-fiend daughter.
And it was everything I could want for a solo lunch and more.
Note: I am a hungry hippo when I’m home alone. It’s as though I don’t eat the rest of the week because I’m feeding the kids. You may get a good two servings from my proportions below.
- 1-1½ cups cooked polenta
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used portabellas; crimni also work)
- ½ cup halved Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Keep cooked polenta warm (or reheat) in a saucepan over low heat (add milk, one tablespoon at a time if it begins to get too thick).
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add oil. Once oil is warm, add Brussels sprouts and mushrooms, salt and pepper, and saute until mushrooms are soft and Brussels sprouts are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and stir to incorporate and warm, about 1 minute.
- Plate polenta, add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts, and top with blue cheese. Serve (to yourself!) immediately.